Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Front Of My House


Well I am here to disappoint!!!  So sad, too bad for my 2nd post.  But when all was said and done I realized I took the hurricane lamp from a magazine and it probably isn’t legal to explain it. I guess I need to watch that!!!  So in order to keep myself out of “hot water” I can tell you where I got the instructions.   I took it from “Dollshouse and Miniature Scene Magazine” Aug. 10/194 edition which I bought at Borders.  The article is very well done by Sue Heaser and easy to follow.  She also has a web site www.sueheaser.com    and if you go there you will see to the left of her page a main menu, click on projects list and you will see a bird cage and parrot made out of polymer clay in 1" scale that you can download to make.  That will be my next project to make as it is sooooo cute.   She also promises more to be added to this list and I have emailed her and asked if she would be so kind and think about putting on her Hurricane Lamp so you all can make it.  Going forward I would like to show you the outside of my house in this post.  This I can explain how I did!!!  YAY… 
The front is painted a medium grey first and then you lay an adhesive brick template on top of the house.  The kit which you can buy at any Dollhouse Store comes in any scale  with a red clay substance that you mix with water and slather on top of the template.  As it dries you remove the template and wham there is your brick.  It is so realistic.  Messy, but fun to use!!!  If it is messy, I enjoy using it.  I still can hear my mom's voice in my ear, saying "Lady Jane, get out of those mud puddles". I really enjoyed making mud pies, lol...  Anyway, you would want to test this first on a piece of plywood before applying it to your house, which I did, and found easy to use. To be safe, practice first.  I dabbed some white paint here and there on some of the bricks to make them look old and I really liked the effect.  You then can glue your windows and door in by scraping a little of the brick off to fit them in quite easily.  The roof is a slate looking sheet bought at Earth and Tree, handrubbed with a blue/black wax shoe polish with baby powder scrubbed in to give it an older appearance.  Buffed with a rag, sealed with a matt finish varnish and  glued on. The chimneys are made with the same brick template and I smudged some blue/black shoe polish on some of it to look like soot from coal residue.  The side of the house is a sheetrock joint compound I swirled on to simulate a mortar appearance and then painted off white.  The bottom front of the house is just little stones glued on to suggest a basement.   The front steps are blocks of wood glued together to form the stoop, painted with a light grey paint with sand mixed in.  That was a little tricky to get the dimensions correct cause that came out of my head, but I think it really adds to the final touch to the front of the house.  And there you have it! A very realistic looking brownstone house from the early nineteenth century.  There are 2 shops in the downstairs.  A tea room on the left and a toy shop on the right.  Eventually I will add an attached greenhouse to it and incorporate it into a village scene that I am pondering.  I haven’t quite worked out all the particulars as yet, but that is my plan going forward. I will fill you in as it becomes clear to me.  Thanks for reading my blog and I hope some of my tips will be helpful to you. 
















3 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogland. You will quickly find out what all the symbols mean beside or under pictures. You do want to be careful about "borowing" certain peoples pictures. If you, be sure to link back to them in some way to give credit where credit is due. Most don't mind but you do need to be careful. You'll soon find you not only talk about mini's but everything. hehe. It's addictive. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your house. It's one of a kind and I like that. Thank you for the exterior finishing tutorial. It was well explained. Thank you also for Sue Heaser's site. I was not aware she had one. I have a book by her. It's called "Making Doll's House Miniatures with Polymer Clay". She has tutorials for two lamps in it. A Tiffany lamp and a bedside lamp.

    Lucille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house looks beautiful! Love the stoop!
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete