Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Problems With My First House

First off I would like to thank Sue Heaser for answering my email about the hurricane lamp.  She is one busy lady so it was very kind of her to answer.  She said she was glad I enjoyed the project. She is planning to put up more instructions and projects on her website in the New Year. She likes to wait about 6 months before she puts up any project after it has appeared in print. – It is only fair to the magazine. People can meanwhile buy the back issues of the Dollshouse and Miniature Scene magazine from their website if they want the project.  So now I am anxiously awaiting to see what she will pick for her projects in the New Year.  Whatever it is, it will be neat because she is very meticulous in detail and explains her project so well.
Last night I worked on the backs of the fronts of my house.  My fronts open.  I should say they come off. Initially it was to swing open but I used lightweight MDF for the house and a person in the know told me that the front was too heavy and the hinges wouldn’t stay in.  Then I thought I would put in the pop in thingies, but was told they would loosen and come out.  MDF certainly created some probs...   I had to jury-rig it to stay put with little eye screws and makeshift hooks as I couldn’t find anything small enough.  It works and I am not afraid of the front falling off anymore.  Because the fronts come off you really don’t see the backs of them but I painted them and put in the moldings around the windows.  It just looked too plain to me so I decided to put up valances.  I didn’t really want full curtains as I have lights and I want the interior of the rooms to show when they are on. That was another of my problems.  I have lights in some of the rooms but for some reason I cannot find the connections on the 2nd floor so it is dark.  It seems odd to me that it is the whole 2nd floor so I feel I must have a short there.  When I laid the tape wire I took photos of each room and made a diagram showing in inches up the wall to where I wanted the sconces and across the ceiling to where the lights would go.  Also along the bottom of the walls so I could use table lamps where I wanted.  But alas, the best plans go afoul sometimes.  I want this house to be fully lighted and I don’t want to trace down the problem and find I have to rip out wallpaper and redo this house.  I found a neat website that sells battery operated mini lights.  How cool is that?  I get them in a few days and I cant wait to see them.  http://www.manhattandollhouse.com/html/battery_operated_miniature_dol.html   So that brings me to the valances.   I went rummaging around in my stash and found some ¼” spools and here is what I did.  I stained the spools with a furniture stain pen and then I cut the spool in half, flattening one side with sand paper so it stays in the miter box while cutting and glues easier to the windows also.  The rod is a stained meat skewer. Really cheap at grocery stores and you get a lot in one bag. I find they come in handy for a lot of things.   The skewer fits perfectly into the spool holes. Glued them together with wood glue and glued the piece of ¾ “ lace to the rod with tacky.  Too easy…  It dresses up the backs a bit and still lets the light shine through. You will note I still have some touch up painting to do.  Unfortunately I couldn’t finish my project as I ran out of spools so guess what I am doing today, lol... Michaels here  I  come!!! Till next time, Mini Hugs Lady Jane




3 comments:

  1. My goodness, how adorable! You are talented and this just looks wonderful. You might enjoy my friend's blog too: http://shopcinderellamoments.blogspot.com/
    She does dollhouses too! She is just amazing with her artistry with her houses. You will be impressed and enjoy her blog. Well, you keep up the good work!
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Jane, your tutorials are so clear and easy to understand. Thank you. Good luck at Michaels. I was there yesterday and spent another small fortune.

    Lucille

    ReplyDelete
  3. The curtain rods are ingenious! What a great idea! And your valances are so cute, just the right scale. I see you figured the background thing out, good girl! And you still have a background... It's all looking so good! Have fun at Michaels's. I got my transformer today, 50% off, Yes!

    ReplyDelete