Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Happy Sewing"

If you are an avid sewer than you might recognize those words!  It is how Sue Hausmann ends every one of her “America Sews” TV programs on PBS. Today I had the privilege of meeting her and her husband at our local vacuum and sewing store.  This store is a family run affair.  Doesn’t that just warm your heart? A family owned business in this day and age. Knowledgeable and dedicated people bringing you "top of the line" service.  Sue was there today to present some new Sulky, Husqvarna and some other well known company products in between. Her husband Herb, now retired, travels with her and has come up with some marvelous embroidery designs in his own right. He runs the camera and we saw everything up on a big screen when different techniques were shown at the sewing machine.  It was a full day of wonderful information on sewing, couching, piping, free motion, embroidery, stipling and quilting, marvelous new techniques as well as some old ones I had forgotten. Of course I came away wanting to try every single one of them.  Some amusing stories were told of their lives and bloopers from filming the show was shown.  People were friendly as sewers typically are, good food, and good conversation. We all had something we made with us or worn by us and these are what I brought or wore, and we had a fashion show.






  Great day! Great fun! I had my picture taken with Sue which will be emailed to me sometime soon.  My hubby laughed at me and said “you would think she was a celebrity”. Well to me she is. I have watched this woman for 15 years or more and learned a lot of great sewing techniques and wonderful tips from her. When I was working I used to tape the shows as I do now in case I am not home when aired.
 I am so grateful to my mom who took the time to teach me to sew as well as knit and embroider. I just wish I had let her teach me tatting; a lost art, but had no interest in it when growing up.  If it hadn’t been for her I would never have learned these fundamentals and the love for them. It saved my husband and I a lot of money over the years when we couldn’t afford much. I have made my own clothes, curtains, slip covers, pillows, you name it I have stitched it.  Thanks Mom….Thanks Sue…
That was my day and I had to share it with you as for me it was great fun.  Happy Sewing ,  L J

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a marvelous day. I am thrilled that you had this opportunity. Hope you'll share the photo when you receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day. I wish I could sew but I cannot. I don't think I have the patience for it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds like fun to me. Glad you met her and share your picture when you get it. If she comes here, I would like to meet them, too. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is every bit as much a celebrity as so many sports heroes, and she offers a skill much more practical~

    Interesting you should be touching on sharing sewing skills, because today I spent a bit of time teaching one of my granddaughters to sew, and we were using my machine that was handed down to me by my grandmother. A machine she ( grandmother) sewed clothes for myself and my sisters on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love the fellowship of others. It just makes any project your working on that much more fun. I love learning new sewing skills. Make me a better seamstress. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete